Wednesday, December 15, 2010

SNOWMOBILING, ICE FISHING, HUSKY SAFARI

If I EVER hear anyone back home whinge that they are cold I'm seriously gonna slap 'em! Today was the coldest I have ever been in my life and ever intend to be again! It was fun but by the afternoon I hated it and in serious tears in fear of my toes falling off. Not to mention when I had to use the toilet and my bare bum hit the air. Ridiculously cold so today Dave's going to write the blog. I'm going for a HOT shower.

My turn.....
Cold, nah not really - thermometer where we went fishing said minus 21 but we were lucky as the temperature was a lot warmer then a couple of days ago. Wrapped up like I was, didn't really feel the cold too much.

We put all of our thermals etc on this morning and then went to Lapland Safaris where they supplied another set of clothing to go over your own. I ended up with three pair of woollen socks on. In the morning we went snowmobiling and ice fishing. Here we are driving out to the lake.















Decked out ready for the snowmobiles. Shelley and I shared one and the kids were towed behind in a sledge (much to Sofie's disgust - she was so keen to have a go but was too young).















Shelley looking cool (pardon the pun).















On the way to the lake we seen some wild reindeer on the road.















After snow mobiling it was ice fishing. This involved drilling a hole through half a metre of ice and lowering down a bait on a small rod about 30 cm long. I tried for a while with the mittens on but could not feel the bites so used the line like a handline and no gloves and managed to catch a trout (just before my fingers fell off). Also caught another but it fell off as I was pulling it through the hole.

The kids also tried very hard, Sofie nearly got one but it came off and Jayden got some good bites.















We took the trout back and cooked it and some sausages over the fire - delicious. Also has some of the local berry tea - also very good.















Snowmobile and Ice Fishing photos here.

In the afternoon we went off to have a go at dog sledding. The kids were huddled together in one sled and me and Shelley in another taking turns at driving.















I had a fantastic time but poor Shelley thought she would have no toes when she took her boots off. The round trip took about 2 hours.




















Here is Sofie making some friends with the locals.




















Husky Safari photos here.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shelley you poor thing!! I would be exactly the same as I don't cope with the cold either - especially at those temps!!!! But still....seeing you dressed up like you are going to rob a bank in snow gear just cracks me up - hillarous!! LOL xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely awesome ... even if it is freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I hate the cold!! Just got back from Paris where it snowed and the TGV was 40 minutes late because it could only go at 260 kms per hour instead of 300?!!
    When I left Uzès on Wed it was -1°!
    You are all quite mad!!!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete